India is a place that is known for celebrations where a few occasions, significant days are commended with full energy.
All the days have their own significance. National Mountain Climbing Day is one of them.
It is seen that few realities from different subjects are asked in the serious assessments and out of the significant days and dates are additionally there.
This special day is celebrated on 1st of August every year in India. On 1st August 2015, the two mountaineers Bobby Mathews and Josh Madigan completed the 46th peak of New York state’s mountain i.e. Adirondack Mountains (the white face mountain). So, this day is celebrated to honor them.
History: Mountain Climbing Day
Mountain climbing is the adventurous hobby of many people and it has its influence for many years. In the year of 1965 Avatar Singh Cheema was the 1st Indian to climb Mount Everest.
First Indian women to climb Mount Everest is Bachendri Pal at the age of 30 in 1984.
Fifteen non- Indians were already climbed at the high peak of Mount Everest before Avatar Singh. They inspire others to take part in this adventure.
As concerning nationally, the Indian mountains are of three different types. They are like
- The fold mountains like the Himalayas. It comprises the highest peak of the world “Mount Everest”. It is bout 5-8-kilometre-high from sea level. It attracts mountaineers to climb and satisfies them of climbing the highest peak of the earth.
- The black mountains like the Vindhyas.
- The Satpura and the Residual mountains like the Western Ghats.
Mountain Climbing Benefits
- It exercises our whole-body muscles and loses body fats and helps to be healthy. However, it is quite challenging as well.
- Increases erythrocytes (red blood corpuscles) in our body and also provides a nice experience of nature and its organisms.
- It teaches a lot about facing challenges and overcoming our fears.
- One gets honours from governments and NGO’s with financial help when achieving a historical climb of a mountain.
Nowadays mountaineers can easily establish in this field. Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF) is a summit national body act which promotes and organize rock climbing and mountaineering expedition at high peaks in the Himalayas.
There are also many training institutes to promote and teach climbing. These adventure activities also introduced in some educational institution.
Mountains fulfil our pleasure of climbing as well as it is a very good source of nature which is giving us many things.
Our government welcomes to foreigners who are interested to climb and can get permission from the Indian Mountaineering Foundation.
Quotes: National Mountain Climbing Day
1. “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
– John Muir
2. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet; This is not done by jostling in the street.” – William Blake
3. “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity…” – John Muir
4. “Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it.” – Edmund Hillary
5. “No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied – it speaks in silence to the very core of your being.” – Ansel Adams
6. “You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.” – Lito Tejada-Flores
Summary: Mountain Climbing Day
So, in this Mountain Climbing Day let’s remind all above the important role of the mountain and plan to climb at least one mountain in life.
People find solace & pleasure in this activity. Mountain climbing brings you closer to nature. It is a great activity to rejuvenate oneself.
Celebrate this day and make some posters, videos & graphics and share to your social media account with #NationalMountainClimbingDay, so that more people can know about this day.
Thanks for reading
If you like our post then don’t forget to share with your friends and share it on social media platforms to spread awareness about this day. If you want to view/more like this, then just click here.
You can also watch the below-mentioned video to know the information given by the mountaineers.
FAQs on Mountain Climbing Day
1. Do you know why Mountain Climbing Day is celebrated?
Two mountaineer Bobby Mathews and Josh Madigan successfully completed the 46th height peaks of New York state’s mountain. So, this day is celebrated to honor these two first mountaineers.
2. When this day is observed?
It is observed on the 1st of August since they have completed climbing all the 46 mountains of the Adirondack Mountain range in New York.
3. Who is Bachendri Pal?
Bachendri Pal is an Indian mountaineer, who became the first Indian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest. She was awarded the third-highest civilian award Padma Bhushan by Government of India in 2019.
4. What do you call a person who climbs mountains?
We call them as a mountaineer. Simply a mountaineer is a person who climbs or hikes mountains.
5. How much time will it take to climb all the mountains in the whole world?
It is a quite interesting question. According to Google, there are 10,00,809 mountains in the whole world.
It takes 2 months to climb to Mount Everest and approximately 3-4 weeks for the great Himalayas.
So, according to this information, if a mountain takes 2 weeks to climb, you need 20,01,618 weeks or 38,387 years to climb all the mountains in the world, which is impossible for a human being in his/her life.