National Unity Day was introduced by the government of India in the year 2014 and after that every year this day is celebrated on 31st October to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
This day is also known as the ‘Rashtriya Ekta Divas’ or National Day of Unity. You know this day we celebrate nationwide for the honour of a,
- A senior leader of INC (Indian National Congress)
- Freedom fighter
- Iron Man of India
- First Deputy Prime Ministers and first Home Minister of independent India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (1875-1950). In this 2020 National Unity Day of 31st October, we will observe his 145th birthday anniversary.
National Unity Day History:
Rashtriya Ekta Divas was first celebrated in the year 2014 on 31st October and declared this day as to observe as “National Unity Day” countrywide by Modi government.
History of this day resides in the historic contribution of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel for uniting India after independence, integrating approximately 565 princely states. He has the key role in the integration of princely states to create a strong and united India.
Through all his selfless service for framing and uniting India, prevent Balkanization (a process of fragmentation), there is an important role of Sardar Patel in creating a beautiful map of India.
In between the year 1947-1949, he did a phenomenal job bringing the princely states under the Indian union. By holding a plebiscite and convincing he successfully align these 565 princely states with Indian union.
Important facts about Sardar Patel:
- In 1928 Bardoli Satyagraha, he got the title of ‘Sardar’ from women in Bardoli who were participated in that Satyagraha, as he led it successfully.
- He established All India Civil Services.
- He is called as the ‘Bismarck of India’ because of his key role in the unification of India (Bismarck was a German statesman who had an instrumental role in uniting Germany).
- He is known as the ‘Iron Man of India’.
- He was posthumously awarded the highest civilian award ‘Bharat Ratna‘ in 1991.
Themes & Pledge:
Every year this day is celebrated with different themes and mottos. This year also have a unique theme which you should know about. Here is some previous year’s theme also,
National Unity Day theme of 2019 was – “To bring the nation together, united in times of strife and rising extremism.”
The theme for the year 2020 is – “Unity in diversity is better than, unity in similarities.”
I solemnly pledge that I dedicate myself to preserve the unity, integrity and security of the nation and also strive hard to spread this message among my fellow countrymen.
I take this pledge in the spirit of unification of my country which was made successful by the vision and actions of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. I also solemnly resolve to make my own contribution to ensure the internal security of my country.
How this day is celebrated:
This day commemorates the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel and his contribution to the national unity.
It is celebrated in our country organizing Run for Unity (a nationwide marathon) since 2014 every year on October 31st to raise awareness about the National Day of Unity were many spots person, central police forces and sports enthusiasts join there.
Many educational institutions hold competitions like National Unity Day essay, debate and acting on this day. Rashtriya Ekta Divas Parade is organized and our honourable Prime Minister pays tribute to Sardar Patel at ‘Statue of Unity’ (Kevadia, Gujarat).
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Technology Demonstration Site there, where the security personnel showcase different technologies. For the honour of Sardar Patel:
- 182-meter-high statue of Sardar Patel has built-in kevadia, Gujarat (at Sadhu-Bet Island), Which is known as the ‘Statue of Unity’ the highest statue of the world.
- The Indian government has also established the ‘Sardar Patel National Award’, the highest civilian award in the field of contribution to unity and integrity of our country.
National Unity Day Slogans:
- Unity in diversity is India’s speciality.
- Accept the national unity, create a path of development for everybody.
- Be unite to be more Powerful.
- Unity is very necessary to live in society.
- Unity itself a power, do not underestimate it!
Threats to Unity:
Major causes of threats to unity in India are,
- Threats from outside countries due to conflicts like the border conflict.
- Terrorist activities like killing people, destroying bridges and buildings using landmines etc.
- Casteism which has its evil elements like untouchability, less importance to the lower castes etc.
- Regionalism creates different divisions and develops a regional feeling neglecting the principle of nationalism.
- Communalism (communal riots causes serious threats to our unity).
- Language controversy due to the multiplicity of languages. It was seen when Hindi was provided with the place of official language. South Indian revolts against it.
India is a sovereign, secular, socialistic democratic Republic and is a vast country with a vast population. Here we all speak different languages and profess different religions.
The Hindus, Muslims and Christians or others live here together. The Oriya, Bengali, Telugu, Assamese and Punjab live here together. We all differ from each other in various aspects.
Although politically one, but socially, culturally and religiously we lead different lives. So, it can easily be imagined how difficult it is to unite all people and rule with equal laws and regulations.
10 Ways to increase National Unity in India:
- Starting from grass root level i.e. the foundation of a nation (children) who are most important for every aspect. Starting from home, parents and society should be very much responsible to develop a child in the right direction with noble thoughts.
- In every educational institution’s students should provide with the knowledge of national unity and the fuel of national feeling regularly.
- On the other hand, try to root out the causes of threats to our unity and check the evil elements like Casteism, terrorism, communalism, regionalism and other such ill feelings among the people.
- Unless we taste bitterness, we can’t imagine the value of (taste of) sweetness. Like this, if we aren’t aware of the independence struggle of our country how leaders sacrifice and dedicate their life for the sake of our nation, then we cannot understand better how unity matters most for us. So, it is very much important to know our past, as the past gives us a lesson.
- Promoting All India Services in every field for building better relations between states and to the national feeling.
- Conflicts between states, districts, villages should be resolved with better understanding without taking any harmful step to disturb bonding, which at the end decreases the national unity of our country.
- Get in touch with the current affairs, watch the news, read a newspaper. So that it will help us to improve our mentality towards nationality and to relate better with the problem of our nation.
- Wipeout un-education problem in India by educating the people of rural areas, inter areas and focusing more on educating the illiterate parents.
- Personally, we all should remember that we are neither Oriya, nor Bengali, nor Gujarati and so on, we are only Indians. We must be integrated emotionally for the sake of peace and prosperity of our nation. We should spare no pains to break the narrow domestic wall that destroys the unity of our nation.
- Promoting #NationalUnityDay by the celebrities, political leaders and other famous personnel through social media or in other platforms and inspire their fans, followers & lovers to live life with the feeling of universal brotherhood.
Quotes: National Unity Day 2020
So, this is the complete information regarding this auspicious day and I am sure that you are enjoyed a lot and found all the information, which you have been looking for.
FAQs on National Unity Day:
1. What is the meaning of national unity?
National unity means unity and unanimity among the people of our country, helping each other in every situation.
2. What special are you going to do on the occasion of National Unity Day?
I will converse and discuss with my friends, family members and relatives about the importance of unity & how do we enhance the national unity (which I never did before, so it is special for me).
With hashtag #HappyNationalUnityDay I am going to share the information in my social media account so that many people who are not aware of this day can able to know.
3. Name the people who advocate the idea of National Unity Day?
In 2014, the National Unity Day was introduced by the Indian Government especially our Current Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi to observing the birthday anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
The official announcement of Unity Day was by the ministry of home affairs of India which state that “Occasion will provide an opportunity to reaffirm the inherent strength and resilience of our nation to withstand the actual and potential threats to the unity, integrity and security of our country.”
4. What are the five factors of national unity?
- Educational progression
- All India services
- Business wings
- History of the independence struggle, which leas a sense of unity among the people
- Advanced communication.