World day for International Justice is also known as the Day of International Criminal Justice or International Justice Day. It is celebrated throughout the world and ensuring accountability for the torture and enforced disappearance. Every year on 17th July it is celebrated and the aim of the day is to promote international criminal justice and support ICC (International Criminal Court).
The founding treaty of the International Criminal Court or the anniversary of the historic adoption of the Rome Statute was on 17th July 1998, which seeks to protect people from the most serious crimes. ICC has its effect on 1st July 2002.
History : International Justice Day
Since 1998 approximately 80 states-representative all over the world have approved courts treaty and 134 countries have signed it. The assembly of state parties at the Review Conference of The Rome Statute held in Kampala (Uganda) in 1st June 2010 decided to celebrate 17th July as the day of international criminal justice.
International Criminal Court (ICC) is a global civil society network or World Court, which has headquartered in the Hague, Netherlands. It has more than 2500 member organizations in 150 countries. ICC doesn’t replace national courts but it is available when a country can’t or won’t carry out investigations and prosecute perpetrators. ICC has its goal for a world of peace and providing justice to the victims of genocide, War crimes, crimes against humanity, crimes of aggression etc. Together ICC works with its member states and has a vision of:
- Building an international movement of justice advocates.
- Showing justice to the people of the world.
- Promoting ICC to add more member states.
- Awaking people to raise voice against perpetrators internationally.
- Inspiring national courts and laws to deliver justice to the victims and to cooperate with ICC.
- Making peaceful and more effective ICC and its members.
- Uprooting crimes everywhere all over the world through their dedicated service.
Some examples of cases & investigation of ICC:
The ICC started its investigation in March 2010 due to the widespread violence issue in Kenya after 2007 election where more than 1000 people have died, 6 lakh people are displaced and over hundreds of people are sexually attacked. The ICC started an investigation in January 2016 into the war crimes and crime against humanity which is known as the “South Ossetia Conflict”. Allegedly committed by all parties including Russia, Georgia and South Ossetian separatist rebel between July 1st to 10th October 2008.
The Rohingya population of Myanmar were suffering from inhuman activities like deportation, persecutions on or after June 1st 2010. So, ICC started its investigation on the 14th of November 2010.
There was decades-long running conflict in Uganda between the Government and Lord’s Resistance Army. So, Uganda invited ICC for investigation and justice in the year 2004. In this case ICC issue arrest warrants for five senior LRA members in 2005.
Significance : World Day for International Justice
World Day for International Justice expects to reinforce international criminal justice over the world. The appropriation of the Rome Statute and foundation of the new arrangement of global criminal equity and the foundation of ICC is seen as a revolutionary advance for harmony and the standard of law. The day additionally acknowledges the 150 nations that have marked the Court’s settlement. About 123 States, the agent of each area of the world, have sanctioned the bargain. ICC has asked all the party states to quickly start the way toward approving the Agreement on Privileges and Immunities.
World Day for International Justice is commended to bring issues to light to the individuals mindful and joined to help equity. The primary goal is to advance the privileges of the people in question. The day is seen to draw in individuals around the globe to focus on significant issues. The perception of the Day likewise shields individuals from a few wrongdoings and caution those individuals who influence harmony and security.
Quotes : International Justice Day
1. “Peoples worldwide aspire to peace and justice, as well as to the respect of the rule of law and human dignity. Happy world’s international justice day.”
2. “Injustice is the biggest threat in society. Let us join hands to eradicate injustice from the world. Happy world’s international justice day.”
3. “Where justice is denied, where ignorance prevails, neither persons nor property will be safe. Let’s raise our voice against injustice. Happy world’s international justice day.”
4. “Justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create. Happy World day for International justice.”
5. “There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. Happy World day for International justice.”
6. “Behind the concept of justice lies the notion of balance – that people get what is right, fair and appropriate. Happy World day for International justice.”
7. “Behind the concept of justice lies the notion of balance – that people get what is right, fair and appropriate. Happy World day for International justice.”
8. “Never pray for justice, because you might get some. Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public. Happy World day for International justice.” – Thebrandboy
9. “Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice.” – Nelson Mandela
10. “There is no freedom without justice.” – Simon Wiesenthal
11. “Justice is doing for others what we would want to be done for ourselves.” – Cary Haupen, International Justice Yicaion
12. “Man’s capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man’s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
13. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
14. “There Can be no peace without Justice and Respect for Human Rights.” – Irene Khan
15. “Without justice and love, peace will always be a great illusion.” – Dom Helder Camara
Conclusion : International Justice Day
People celebrate this day by organizing events, campaigns to promote this day and to promote ICC. Coalition members all over the world accept this day and celebrate unitedly. This day is also prompted by social media, news channels, newspaper etc. which helps to pay attention to serious crimes happening in the world.
It is very important to celebrate this day because it is awaking and solidarity to support justice and also the rights of the victims. It attracts the global civil society to know and raise voice against crimes like discrimination, genocide and all the social injustice. The theme of the 2020 World Day for International Justice is “closing the inequalities gap to achieve social justice”. So, wishing all each-other the importance of this day and let’s have a walk on and be a part of this day by commemorating international justice.
If you want to read more like this on Awareness day and social awareness, then click here.